We’re coming around to the holiday season again, and with that unhealthy eating goes hand in hand – however, it doesn’t have to be the case. There are many healthier options available nowadays of our favorite treats. We can substitute gluten with flour alternatives and traditional kinds of milk with our favorite milk alternatives. Let’s try and stay on top of our health this fall and winter season! Here’s our healthier pumpkin pie recipe without all the guilty ingredients.
What you need:
For the Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 5 tbsp cold butter, (or organic palm shortening for dairy-free)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp cold water
For the Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 15 oz organic pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
How to make it:
- For the crust, stir together the flours and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter or shortening until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Add the egg and one tablespoon of water, knead the ingredients together until a ball of dough forms. If the mixture is too dry and crumbly, add the second tablespoon of water.
- Wrap the ball of dough with plastic wrap or parchment paper and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper or use your fingers to push the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Use a fork to pierce a few holes in the bottom of the dough.
- Pre-cook the crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the pumpkin pie filling ingredients. Blend all ingredients together for one minute with a hand mixer.
- Pour the filling mixture into the pre-cooked pie crust and place back in the oven for 50-60 minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean one inch from the edge, your pie is done.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up.
- Enjoy with family and friends!